FIERA MILAN CITY

Fieramilanocity
Fieramilanocity
Born as Fiera Campionaria, the Trade Fair of Milan was built in 1920 and looked like a post-war domestic market Italy. It was originally located in the Porta Venezia area and was moved 1923 behind Castello Sforzesco. Some original buildings of Art Nouveau have survived at the entrance in Via Domodossola. The Fiera is a symbol of Milanese Industriousness and spirit of enterprise. The original fair has been replaced 2005 by a new large scale exhibition center located in Rho, which name is Fieramilano. The remaining of the Fiera Campionaria is nevertheless still alive under the name Fieramilanocity: new modern pavilions have been built on the historic complex of the Fiera Campionaria. The site host nowadays exhibitions and conferences.

ARCO DELLA PACE


The Arco della Pace, a triumphal gate located at the beginning of Piazza Sempione, was built by Luigi Cagnola in 1807 to celebrate Napoleon’s victories. It was finished in 1838 for the occasion of the coronation of Ferdinando I as King of Lombardy-Venetia. The style reminds the one of the Roman Settimio Severo’s arch. On the trabeation the four rivers of Lombardy-Venetia are featured: the Po, the Ticino, the Adige and the Tagliamento) surrounded by bas-reliefs that feature episodes from the Restoration. From the top of the arch, is possible to admire a great view of the Castello Sforzesco and a close view of the bronze Chariot of Peace, created by Abbondio Sangiorgio. Once, the Chariot faced France, but when Milan was ceded to Austria, it was turned to face the centre of the city. The road that connects the beautiful ancient Castello Sforzesco to Piazza Firenze, near the Fair, is Corso Sempione: It’s modelled as a grand boulevard of Milan and was the first step of a road built by Napoleon to link Milan with Lake Maggiore, Switzerland and France via the Simplon pass.

CERTOSA DI GAREGNANO


Certosa di Garegnano, Milan
Certosa di Garegnano
If you are in this area, have a look at the “Certosa di Garegnano”: This old Carthusian monastery was founded in 1349 by Giovanni Visconti, and was demolished with the destruction of the cloisters in the late sixteenth century for the construction of the Milan-Laghi road. The complex, dedicated to St. Maria Assunta, is still in the middle of the motorway intersection. Few traces are left of the ancient building, which are still visible from part of the intersection, while the monument still retains it's fifteenth and sixteenth century style. The overturned 'T' building is particular, and is the result of the construction of two chapels in the centre (dating from the fifteenth century). There are differing opinions as to who planned the interesting facade, ranging from Alessi or Pellegrini to Seregni. There are also many paintings which date from the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries.

ANTHROPOLOGICAL MUSEUM


Another interesting visit is the one at the Anthropological Museum (Museo Popoli e Culture): it is based on the everyday and on religious objects collected by Catholic missionaries during their work in Far Eastern countries as China, Japan, Birmania, India, Africa, Oceania.

MEAZZA STADIUM


Meazza Stadium
Meazza Stadium - Inter and Milan
If you are a football fan, the San Siro area is yours! The well-known Meazza Stadium is located in this area…it was named after the famous italian football player Giuseppe Meazza and is a temple of Milanese football. It was built in 1926, and renovated and enlarged in the 1950's for the occasion of the world cup in 1990. The permanent display is entitled 'Inter & Milan; history and legend' and includes historic and legendary items from the Milan teams of Inter and Milan as well as a visit to the stadium. There are flags, pennants, jerseys and historic photographs.